The GCHIDP was created in 2007 and serves to:
- advocate on behalf of hearing impaired persons by working to ensure those persons have equal access to the services, programs, and opportunities available to others;
- assist hearing impaired persons and parents of hearing impaired persons who are students in advocating for equal access to services, programs, and opportunities;
- advise the Governor, General Assembly, Commissioner of Human Resources, and Commissioner of Community Health on the development of policies, programs, and services affecting hearing impaired persons and on the use of appropriate federal and state moneys for such purposes;
- create a public awareness of the special needs and potential of hearing impaired person;
- recommend to the Governor, General Assembly, Commissioner of Human Resources, and Commissioner of Community Health legislation designed to improve the economic and social conditions of hearing impaired persons in this state;
- propose solutions to problems of hearing impaired persons in the areas of education, employment, human rights, human services, health, housing, and other related programs;
- work with other state and federal agencies and private organizations to promote economic development for hearing impaired persons;
- and coordinate its efforts with other state and local agencies serving hearing impaired persons.
Please be advised The Georgia Commission on Hearing Impaired and Deaf Persons meeting 2013 schedule is as follows:
2013 Meeting Schedule:
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at the Atlanta Speech School, in the boardroom, located at 3160 Northside Parkway Northwest, Atlanta, GA 30327-1598
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 at the Auditory Verbal Center, in the boardroom, located at 1901 Century Boulevard N.E. #20, Atlanta, GA 30345-3300
Tuesday, November 12, 2013 at the Atlanta Speech School, in the boardroom, located at 3160 Northside Parkway Northwest, Atlanta, GA 30327-1598
All meetings are scheduled from 9:00 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. Everyone is invited to attend. Individuals requesting accommodations should e-mail email@example.com or call 404-657-5244 one week in advance of the date of the scheduled meeting.