• What is a license?

    A license is a permit issued by the State that permits you to provide residential child care and maternity homes services.  

  • Find out if you need a license

    To find out if you need a license from the State to provide the service you want to provide, call the Office of Inspector General, Residential Child Care Licensing (RCCL) unit.

    The Residential Child Care Licensing Unit licenses child caring institutionschild placing agencieschildren's transitional care centersoutdoor child caring programs (camps) and maternity homes.

  • Obtain your license

    If you are required to obtain a state license issued by RCCL, you must:

    • Attend the RCCL Mandatory Application Training (MAT) before submitting an application. The RCCL MAT classes are held the second Wednesday of every month. Please email rccapps@dhs.ga.gov for registration details.
    • File an application with RCCL on specific forms issued by RCCL and include a copy of your RCCL MAT certificate.

    In most cases, your business location will be visited by an RCCL surveyor to verify that you are in compliance with the rules and regulations that apply to your particular business.

    If your application is complete and your business is in compliance with the rules, then you will be issued a State license to operate.

  • Waiting to receive your license

    The length of time required to get a State license to operate varies greatly. It may take a week or a year depending partly on the motivation of the applicant. One way to speed up the process is to make sure that the paperwork you submit is accurate and complete. Be sure to keep a copy of whatever you submit.

    Contact Residential Child Care Licensing Unit

    Inspects, monitors, licenses Child Caring Institutions, Child Placing Agencies, Outdoor Child Caring Programs, Children's Transitional Care Centers and Maternity Homes.


    2 Peachtree Street, NW
    Suite 30
    Atlanta, GA 30303-3142
    United States